Third set of locks for the Panama Canal
The Design & Build assignment is part of the Panama Canal Expansion Program, which is intended to increase transit capacity of the Canal to meet the growing cargo-carrying demand along major international maritime trade routes.
The locks will be suited for 120,000 DWT vessels and the lock gates will be one of the largest in the world. The design includes water saving basins and a multiple step locking process. Dimensions of the lock will approximately be 425 x 55 x 18 meter.
SBE's scope of work within the consortium entailed :
- Conceptual design of a 1-step lock
- Conceptual design of a 2-steps lock
- Conceptual design of a 3-steps lock
- Study of the lock doors and equipment
- Study of the door chambers and the lock head
- Fort Davis, Panama
Port & river engineering
- Lock design
- Port development
- 2007 - 2009